Tuck and Watkins Mill

Originally the Tuck & Watkins sawmill, the mill was built in the 1940’s, later it was purchased by PTY Industries Ltd and became known as the PTY No 2 mill.

After its closure the mill lay abandoned until it was leased to the Putaruru Timber Museum Society Inc, in 1974. Extremely rundown, the mill has had to be virtually rebuilt. At first it was used as a general static display area, but it 1984-85 work began on rebuilding it into a static mill display. New concrete was poured, skids, sawdust creepers and saws were repositioned. A mezzanine floor was built to give the public a good view of the workings of a sawmill.