Sawmill Cafe

The Sawmill Café was formerly situated in Kensington Street. It was built around 1907 by the Yandle family as their homestead when Putaruru was still virtually a farm and housed a number of families over the years. In urgent need of repair the house was donated and moved onto the Museum site in 1978. On close inspection it was found to be sound even after suffering the indignity of being cut in half for transporting to the site. Today the old homestead is fully restored and renovated into cosy tearooms.